Wednesday 18 April 2012

Triptych photography

Research:

I like this type of triptych art as i like the way that the red all stands out and it is also clear to the audience how all the images relate to each other. From looking at this i like of London straight away, as all these things are seen in london.

Wolfgang Tillmans
Wolfgang Tillman’s is a German photographer that was born in 1968.Tillsmans studied Art at Bournemouth College of art and was the first non-English photographer to be awarded the Turner prize in 2000. When Tillman’s first started photography his photography was snap-shots imagery of friends and objects that were around him. Since 2000 he has been more interested in Chemical foundation of photographic materials. This has created some very different styled photography that looks very interesting. Most recently he has started to explore into more figurative imagery including this paper drop series. 


I like this photo as it is very simple but like colours in it all look good together.This image looks like it could be a cover of a book or dvd.
From looking at Tillmans photography it makes you think as some of his image could be something else than what it really is.  Here is some of his earlier work
In this image the cup of tea looks like it could be separating although it could also be a shadow of a tree reflecting into the cup of tea.
Here is some of his examples of his Paper Drop series of photo.

This picture is of a folded up piece of paper although when i first looked at this i thought it was a Spoon on its side.I like the lighting that fold from the paper has created.

Taiyo Onorato & Nico Krebs


These two photographer are swiss photographers who have worked together since 2003. Together they produce photography installation and sculpture and have a number of awards for the work  together. From looking at there work together it is very different from other work i have seen as it isn't very realistic as they have normally put a few things together to make the image. Here is some of examples of there work.
I think this image is very interesting as it makes you think that the face in the TV screen is of the person behind the screen but its not. The colours and style of the photo also gives it an older feeling.
                                           

          
Idea's:
One of my idea's is for my  3 photo's  to describe a journey. So for this i would have the black and white image of a stair case that is leading somewhere or a image of the front of the college, then for the digital photo would be of a picture that i have taken in New York of the city from the top of the empire state building. My scanned image would be of things that i have brought from New York to show what i got from the journey that i had been on.

My second idea for my 3 images would be of different bright lights. For my first black and white image i would take a photo of the lights in the college from high up. for the digital image i would once again use a image that i will take in New York either being of the lights in time square or a image looking down on the city at night with all the lights on. For my image in the scanner i would try and make shapes with my hands that will give different shades of lights.


My finished images 




Evaluation 

When given the task of creating a triptych photo, we had to include a black and white image, digital and a scanned image. My idea for my three images was for them to explain a journey somewhere. The first photo I took was on a 35mm black and white SLR camera. As our images had to be college related, I walked round the college taking photos of interesting things. As I wanted mine to explain journeys the first thing I took a picture of was the outside of the college to represent where the journey started off. On each picture I took I changed the focus and shutter speed so that it would give different effects to the photo’s and would suit the brightness.
Once I had taken all the photo’s I wanted on this camera, I then developed them. When this was done I then looked through them to see what would be the best suited for my theme. There were two images that stuck out for me one being the outside of the college and the other one being taken from the top of the college looking down on to the atrium with the lights in the photo. I decided on printing both images to see what worked the best when putting them all together.
The second image that I took was the digital image. As I went to New York I thought it would be a good idea to use one of my photos from there. When in New York I took a range of photo’s including one from top of Empire state, in Times Square and central park. When  I came back I looked through my photo’s and decided to use one of my images from time square as I liked the lighting and positioning of it.
The final image that I had to be included in our triptych was a scanned image. We could scan anything that related to our themes but it had to be done in college. I decided to scan my tickets and postcard from New York. I thought it would be good to scan these as they were things that I used and got on my journey to New York. I spread them out so it looked like a collage.
Once I had all my images I put them all on to Photoshop and set them out and edited them the way I wanted. Before I placed then I cropped them all to the size I wanted and then I placed them on a landscape A3 size paper. The next thing I decided is what order they should go in. I did a 2 set out of this as I didn’t know what I preferred the best. I then decided that my one with the black and white image at the beginning worked best as it shows the beginning of the journey in order. Once I had all my images in order I then went through each one and edited them. On my entire photo’s I messed around with the colouring to make them darker and lighter and on the middle image I changed to black and white as I felt it worked better with the rest of the photos.
Overall I feel that my triptych went well as there is many meaning behind the photos. My meaning from the photos was meant to show a journey. Its starts off in college and then the second image show all the tickets and all the things I used to get to my last place on the journey which was New York. When showing this to the group they said that one of the main things that stuck out for them was that the images was that in the first image the picture looks down on the where the journey started off and then in the last image the picture shows me looking up at the images. This could say  that I feel big and comfortable when I live as I know it well but when you get into a new place it makes you feel small again and you look up to everything. Another thing that was said that stood out was the New York on the ticket on the middle scanned image, they said that by that being there you can automatically tell that the photo was taken in New York. I’m quiet pleased with my images although I feel that maybe I could of experimented on editing a bit more, to give the images a different effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment