Friday 1 October 2010

pinhole evalution.

When I started doing pinhole camera there was things that I wanted to learn. I wanted to learn how to use the dark room and what chemicals are used to make the image appear. I also wanted to know how to make the camera and how it worked. I wanted to know how the camera worked because I didn’t believe that a box and picture paper could get you a image.

From Studying and creating my pinhole camera I have developed my knowledge on this topic. From this I have learnt the way pinhole cameras work. I have learnt that when you are making the box the inside of the box needs to be black, this is because if there was a reflection in it the image wouldn’t come out , so when you paint it black  the light is absorbed by the black. I also learnt that you cannot let the photographic paper see light unless you want to take the image. This is because the paper takes in the image when light is on it and if you let light see the paper before taking the picture your image wouldn’t come out.  Another thing ii have learnt is that you have to place the images into chemicals to the images appear. The solution we have to put the paper into were the “fixer” , “developer” and “stop” then you had to wash the image with water . This was to wash off the dangerous chemicals before touching it. When taking the image, I learnt that you had to leave the camera there, for a certain amount of time when taking the photo. This timing was very important to make the images come out. The timing was different for everybody as it depended on what size your box was. If i didn’t know about this i would of left it taking the image for about 5 minutes.

When i made my pinhole camera i brought in a Pringles box to make it with. We painted the inside of out boxes black; this was to stop any reflection inside the box. We then had to make a lens for a box. We did this by cutting a square into our boxes and then putting foil over this square. We stuck the foil down using black duck tape. Next we put a pin in the foil to make the lens. This hole was the hole that would see the image and would go onto the photo paper. When our lens was done we had to make sure that the box didn’t have any light going into it. This meant we had to create a flap to cover over the pinhole. We made this by using card and duck tape. When i place the photographic paper in the box i stuck it the inside of the box. This had to be placed opposite the pinhole so that the image went on the paper. When we put the paper in the box, we had to do this in the dark room this was because the paper mustn’t see light before taking the image.

With the images i have taken with my pinhole camera, i am very pleased with. I took 2 pictures outside. I felt that these pictures came out the best and they were very clear, where as the picture i had taken inside didn’t come out very well. When i took my images outside i had to leave my camera focusing on the spot for 30 seconds. This time was important because if i had left my camera focused there any longer my image would of came out black and you wouldn’t of seen them. I have learnt from my pictures i took outside that the camera needed to stay still. This is because when the camera moves it will leave a blur in the image. When I was taking my first image i moved the camera a little bit which made a slight blur in it. Although i did i felt that it was quiet effective in my work. This was my first picture so i knew for my next pictures i needed to keep the camera still to make a clearer image come out. The second picture i took was of the college’s feel that this was my best picture as it was the clearest. I think it came out very clear because i had it on a level surface and i stood away from it. The last picture i took, i tired inside. This meant that u needed to change the time i kept the camera focusing for. The time for inside was 2 minutes. I took the image using a different size piece of paper as i wanted to see how it came out. I feel i shouldn’t of done this as the paper wasn’t big enough and there was only a small image in the corner of the paper. Overall i was very pleased with the images that my camera had produced , as they were clear and i didn’t make many mistakes.

If i was to do this task again there would be a few things i would like to try. I would like to try doing more images inside to see how they would come out different to the ones i did outside. I would also i like to try using a different type box with a longer focal point to see if anything was different with the images. If i was to do this again i would also make sure that i keep my box on level surface area so that the images i get out are clearer. I would also like to try to leave my box somewhere for a long time to see  how the image would turn out with people walking past it and what sort of effect it would give the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment